Credit notes are created in conjunction with a repurchase and printed by your receipt printer. The customer receives a unique voucher which can be used to purchase goods at a later date. The voucher must be used before the expiry date, otherwise it will expire and may no longer be used.
Activate credit note as a payment method
In order to use a credit note, you need to add another payment option in Sitoo Backoffice using credit note as payment method.
- Click the add icon at the upper left corner
- Enter Credit note in the empty textbox.
- Choose payment method Credit note.
- Click Save.
- Now you have a new payment method on the cash register.
Edit the validity period
- Go to Backoffice> Settings> General.
- Scroll down to the section Credit Notes.
- Click on the scroll bar and select the validity period.
The validity period is 12 months by default if you do not change the deadline yourself.
Manage credit notes
Credit notes can be created in connection with a repurchase
For repurchases, select Credit note as payment option. This automatically generates a voucher printed by the receipt printer, which is handed over to the customer.
The voucher is unique and has a sixteen-digit code that can only be used once. The customer must save the printed voucher, which the customer has to bring when it is to be redeemed.
If the customer only uses a part of the amount on the voucher at the time of redeeming, the cash register will create a new voucher of the remaining amount. The initial value is consumed and a new unique voucher is generated.
Use credit notes as a means of payment
- When the customer wants to use the voucher as a means of payment, you should select Credit note as payment option.
- A dialog box appears where you should enter the code specified on the printed voucher, either with the barcode reader or by hand. The code appears as a barcode that can be scanned and is also displayed underneath the barcode.
- If the customer wishes to use multiple payment methods, click the square icon and and repeat the process.
Combine credit notes with other payment options
If the customer for example has a credit note of 50 € and is buying a product for 100 €, the remaining amount can be paid with other payment options such as credit card or cash.
Unless the total amount of the credit note is consumed at the time of transaction, a new credit note will be generated on the remaining amount, with a new unique code but with the same expiration date as the first credit cote. Therefore, the customer must also use the remaining amount within the original period of validity.
Reports for credit notes
In Sitoo Backoffice you are able to create Credit note reports, where you can get information about the issued credit notes and use it as a basis for your bookkeeping. You can also create your own reports. An important report for the bookkeeping is the summary of credit notes that have expired. They give rise to an income to be reported.